During my Mechanical Engineering Class this trimester we made a pinball machine. The first step was to come up with a theme. I could not come up with a theme for so long but after going to a pinball machine museum I knew that I wanted to incorporate a second level into my machine. Eventually, I came up with the theme of barnyard animals. The First thing that I did was to make a playboard on google slides that would incorporate my theme. I decided to use grass as the background and them past barnyard animals on the grass. In the background of the animals, I also included a barn and a farmer with some hay. Once the playboard was complete in google slides I printed it in a large size and then cut it out to cover the playboard completely. Once I had the right dimensions I mog podged the design on paper to the cardboard playboard. Once I had my playboard complete I needed to create my first shot. My first shot I decided would be a bumper. However, to incorporate my theme in my bumper I decided instead of the top of the bumper just being a cube I would make it a barn. The bumper was supposed to have four legs however after I 3D printed it one of the legs fell off. To my surprise and good karma, the three legs allowed my rubber band to have more of a surface area and have more tension on the band. decided would be a bumper. However, to incorporate my theme in my bumper I decided instead of the top of the bumper just being a cube I would make it a barn. The bumper was supposed to have four legs however after I 3D printed it one of the legs fell off. To my surprise and good karma, the three legs allowed my rubber band to have more of a surface area and have more tension on the band. Once my bumper was completed I needed to focus on my second level. I had to create a prototype first out of cardboard. It worked pretty well but my heart was set out on making the second level acrylic.
Once I built my second level in acrylic which was harder than I expected I decided that I didn't like how it looked. I had laser cut the floor with a hole in it so the ball would drop to the first level however I did not etch where I wanted the walls to go. Instead, I hot glued the walls to the ground. Because the acrylic is clear the hot glue and walls ended up looking extremely sloppy. I decided that I would make a second level but it had to be out of cardboard, cardstock and instead of one hole, it needed two.
After, creating the new and improved second level I need something to keep the second level up. I created essentially like a shelf underneath the second level. Underneath the second level in the front, there were three wooden dowels hot glued to the bottom and to the playboard to keep it up. In the back and against the wall is where I created the shelf to hold up the flooring.
To include art to my theme I painted a duck on the cardboard flooring but just kept the walls as white. Once the art was complete I created two ramps to go up to the second level. I created them in white cardstock just like the walls but I painted on one of the ramps cows and the other pigs. Once the ramps were complete, when I played the game I realized that the ball would get stuck behind the ramps. In order to fix this, I placed a slanted piece of wood at an angle where it would go roll back down to the bottom of the playboard. Once the ramps were complete I put my 3D barn bumper next to the ramps.
The last thing that I did was to add some art around the outside of the pinball machine. I drew and painted a goat, goose, chicken, horse, and tractor around the outside and also added logos such as welcome to the farm and barnyard.